To learn a little about Jewish cuisine click the link below.
Chicken Soup: A Jewish recipe serves 4-6 people
1 whole chicken, cut up
1 bunch of dill
1 bunch of parsley
1 wax turnip, cut into large chunks
2-3 parsnips, cut into large chunks
2-3 carrots, cut into large chunks
3 leeks, cleaned, quartered and cut in half
1 onion, quartered
salt to taste
Jewish pasta, cooked separately
– Place the chicken in the bottom of the pot.
– In layers, add carrots, parsnips, turnips, leeks, onion.
– Top with parsley and dill.
– Fill water to cover all ingredients.
– Add salt to taste.
– Bring to a boil, remove any foam. When it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium/low, cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour.
– After 1 hour the vegetables should be tender and not overcooked.
– Discard parsley and dill. Remove chicken to cool. Pull off all the meat and add it back into the pot. Discard the bones. Meanwhile, cooked the pasta.
– To serve, add pasta to a bowl. Ladle the soup over the top. Serve with bread and butter.